Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Panoramas

Saw this link the other day. Shanghai's skyline in 1990 and today (h/t Gizmodo):


That's pretty striking for twenty years.

I'm going to use this post as an excuse to get a few of my favorite panoramas that I took in China on the internet:


Larger resolution link
This photo is from one of my favorite places on earth, Hua Shan, in 2008. The clouds below us engulfing the mountains. Unreal. Another interesting thing about this photo is my friend, Andy, on the far left. He is taking a picture off the edge of a cliff. He's easy to miss unless you're looking for him.


This is from the Jinshanling to Simatai section of the Great Wall. I took this photo in 2006.

Larger resolution link
This photo is of The Big Wild Goose Pagoda in Xi'an. I lived about a two minute walk from this pagoda and walked/rode my bike past it every day when I went to work. Every night at the pagoda they had a water show. I like the remnants of a firework blast on the left side of this photo.

I took these photos with my Canon G2 camera. I used the Canon software "Photostitch" to create them. Basically, I just took a handful of individual photos on a certain setting on the camera and then "stitched" them together on the computer. Not a perfect way of creating wide angle shots. The pagoda picture, in particular, doesn't look too professional. But I can't complain with these results. They show how far amateur photography has been advanced by digital cameras.

4 comments:

Tanya said...

The water/light show at the Big Wild Goose Pagoda was an unintentional highlight of my 2004 trip to Xi'an. I heard about it from a friend and dragged my family along - my sisters ended up playing in the fountains with all the little kids, great photos ensued...

Mark said...

The Wild Goose Pagoda is awesome. It was in my 'hood so it has a special place in my heart. But even aside from my emotional connection, the pagoda built for Xuan Zang in the 7th century after his journey to the west is a wonderful historical relic.

andy said...

Hua Shan...Let's go back.

Mark said...

Qian and I are probably going back to Xi'an next June!! Hua Shan/getting into the countryside will be priorities. You know you're welcome!!!

In a more immediate sense, I'm remiss about our lack of visiting the StL. We need to get there to see you guys. If we don't make it before Labor Day, we'll be there then.