Sunday, January 17, 2010

Memphis and MLK, Jr. Day


Image from blacklooks.com

I'm heading to Memphis, Tennessee for work tomorrow. I'm not going to have to travel much with my job. But the company want me to get to Memphis to see where a majority of our work happens now, right when I'm learning exactly what the company does.

Tomorrow is the national/federal holiday - Martin Luther King Day - in America. Schools will be closed and I believe banks will be closed too. But I, and millions of other Americans, will still be working.

The interesting thing about going to Memphis on MLK, Jr. Day is that Memphis is where Dr. King was assassinated on April 4, 1968. Today, the motel where Dr. King was gunned down is now The National Civil Rights Museum.

I can't imagine that I'll be able to get to the museum tomorrow (we're driving from Kansas City), but I hope I'll be able to make it at some point later in the week. If I do, I'll be sure to write my impressions.

Until then, do yourself a favor and watch this.

2 comments:

peter lau said...

it's nice blog...and really know MLK Jr....

Anonymous said...

Recommended reading "An Act of State"

http://www.amazon.com/Act-State-Execution-Martin-Luther/dp/1859846955/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263831291&sr=8-3

It details a lot of the execution and the timeline. It really helped open my eyes to the King family's claim that his execution may have been an act of state.